January 13, 2014 FEA Europe Update
1. Welcome Back
2. Area Directors' Travels
4. Honor Jazz Fest
5. IRS Forms and Publications
7. Staffing Documents
8. Area JCC
9. Human Trafficking Training
10. Mark Your Calendars
11. 2013-2014 Excessed Placement and VERA/VSIP Information Page
12. Open Season
13. W-2 Form
14. Time and Date
1. Welcome Back -- Although we are now in the second week of school since break this is the first Update for me in 2014, so now let me officially say Welcome Back! I trust that you all had a wonderful break and a well-deserved rest. Now looking forward we have many challenges ahead of us, but with the team around us I am very optimistic that everything, as much as possible, will turn out for the best. I am hoping that in moving forward that collectively we will be able to do lots more shaking of hands than wringing of hands!
2. Area Directors' Travels -- Both Lisa and I will be in attendance at the next Area JCC in Wiesbaden on January 23. In the meantime, I will be visiting schools in Schweinfurt, Bamberg, and Landstuhl. More to follow.
3. SEPA -- Some of you may or may not be aware of this but on February 1, 2014, the European Union will convert to the Single European Payments Area (SEPA) format for payment processing. SEPA allows individuals to make single and repeating payments in a standard format to countries participating in the payment system. It also requires all current payment systems to convert to the new SEPA requirements by February 1, 2014. Bottom line is that if you pay rent, electricity, phone, etc. by Standard Payment Order then you should contact your financial institution right after the holidays if not sooner.
4. Honor Jazz Fest -- The DoDDS-E annual Honor Jazz Fest will be held on January 16. It is well worth attending if possible. The concert is scheduled for 1930 at the:
66649 Sickengenstadt Landstuhl
The concert will also be live-streamed at 1930 on www.doddshost.net Give it a look !
Tickets are free.(Thanks to Lucky Moore of the Area office for the above information.)
5. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2013 tax filing. Most can be done electronically.
6. Update- As you may notice, this Update is a little early. Since I will be visiting schools most of the rest of the week I need to send it today. Also, there are some repeat items here but they are important and in several cases (i.e., SEPA) the deadlines are still ahead of us. Lisa will be back next week with the next Update. My next Update will be on or about January 29. In the meantime, please continue to check www.feaonline.org for breaking news. Also, if anything else comes up rest assured that we also will get the news out.
7. Staffing Documents - We are still waiting for the staffing documents for SY 14/15. We will let FRS's know as soon as they are released. FRS's should then work with the principal on how the new documents will impact the staffing for your school. We have been promised that their release is imminent since many things are now on hold until they arrive.
8 . Area JCC -- The next Area JCC is scheduled for 1030 on Thursday, January 23 , in Wiesbaden. Minutes will be distributed shortly after that date.
9. Human Trafficking Training -- This training will be done in the near future at all DoDDS-E schools. Currently FRS's are in negotiations with administrators to minimize the impact. What I am providing you is the PowerPoint slides. Because the PowerPoint file is large, it can't easily be sent over email. So the easiest way to view it is by going to a DoD site to see the slides. The PowerPoint slides are under bullet 4) labeled PowerPoint at: this link. (The Power Point will last 16 minutes and 28 seconds. ) Doing this training online at this site will not be sufficient to meet the training requirement, so please be aware.
10. Mark Your Calendars --
January 20 -- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Federal Holiday)
January 23 -- End of first quarter, first semester
January 24 -- Teacher Workday
January 27 -- Beginning of third quarter, second semester
February 1-28 -- Black History Month
February 2 -- Ground Hog's Day
11. 2013-2014 DODDS Excessed Placement and VSIP/VERA Information Page - Here you will find news and information from FEA about the 2013-2014 DODDS Excessed Placement Program and VERA
12. Open Season -- During the recent Open Season many of you may have made changes to your benefits. These changes should have been reflected in your upcoming LES. Please check to see that they are correct. .
13. W-2 Forms -- Your W-2 form should be available on the MyPay site now.
14. Time and Date -- The following link will take you to a very interesting and useful web site. It may be useful in keeping yourself up to date with all the suspenses that will be coming along soon. I currently have it set to a date of interest, but you can adjust it if you like.
FEA Europe Area Director
Tel: 0160 2388051 Email