20 February 2019
1. Excess FAQs coming soon
2. Excess Placement Announcement
3. Personal Identity Verification CAC
4. 2020 Awards for Teaching Excellence
5. IRS Forms and Publications
6. Stars and Stripes Article from Feb. 6
7. Mark Your Calendar
8. Printable Posters for Women's History Month
9. Area Director's Travels
1. Excess FAQs -- Our transfer/excess ‘guru' Connie Shanaghan has written up FAQs about excessing procedures to help any and all that are excess. You can find these FAQs at the website below, and should you have any other questions please ask. Excessing Tips and Answers
2. Excess Placement Announcement -- The on-line Excess Placement Program Application for Overseas employees is now open and can be found at https://intranet.ds.dodea.edu/ExcessPlacement/login/login_Teacher.cfm (copy/paste it) Because the above link is located on the DoDEA intranet, you must use a government computer and CAC card to access the application system. Overseas Excessed educators, who do not take VERA and/or VSIP, should submit their application by March 1.
3. Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Authentication certificate -- Many have seen the AFN commercial about getting a new certificate for you CAC. This must be done by 31 March, and is because the military is adding another layer of cyber security. The information has been sent out, but seems to be having difficulty getting to schools/teachers, therefore I have attached a PowerPoint here to help you update your certificate if needed. It takes only a few minutes and has one place where it is a bit sticky when inputting your PIN, but still relatively easy. The PowerPoint ATTACHED was developed by Mitchell Allen Rusch an AT from Hohenfels. Here is the announcement from the Army:
"Army Common Access Card (CAC) holders have until March 31, 2019 to activate their Personal Identity Verification (PIV) Authentication certificate to ensure uninterrupted access to military networks and data. Mandated by the DoD, the Army CAC Certificate Reduction and Realignment Plan modifies the certificates on the CAC to streamline authentication functions under one certificate, increasing interoperability across the DoD and other U.S. federal government agencies to seamlessly integrate system access and information sharing. Approximately two-thirds of all Army CAC holders will be required to activate their PIV authentication certificate. Users should use Internet Explorer when updating their security certificates at: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service/. Instructions for activating the PIV certificate are on the website."
4. 2020 Awards for Teaching Excellence - Attached you will find the guidelines for nomination for this award. The attached Word file contains info about how individuals can nominate themselves to be FEA's candidate for the 2020 NEA Foundation Award for Teaching Excellence, which will be presented in February of 2020. As always, FEA has the option of submitting one name for consideration as our state nominee. The NEA Foundation then makes its award selections based on nominations submitted by the NEA state affiliates. If you are interested you need to submit your nomination form and application by APRIL 1, 2019 to FEA headquarters. email@example.com
5. IRS Forms and Publications -- As tax season approaches, this site has all of the forms and publications that you will need to complete your 2018 tax filing. Most can be done electronically. Also, be aware that most military installations offer tax services for civilians at no cost--check with legal office on your base/post. IRS Forms page
6. Stars and Strips Article from Feb. 6 -- This link is an interesting article about the Bahrain ES on touching policies at the school. Seems we have moved a long way away from playing TAG to possible virtual TAG. No Touching Rule At Bahrain Base Elementary School Bans High Five, Games of Tag For Now
7. Mark Your Calendar
February 1-28 -- Black History Month
February 20-23 -- Cheer (Wiesbaden)
February 20-23 -- Basketball (Wiesbaden)
March 1 -- Closing Date for Excess Program for Excess Educators
March 5 -- Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras
March 14 -- National PI Day
March 15 -- Ides of March (first day of the Roman New Year)
8. Printable Posters for Women's History Month -- Here you can find printable posters for the upcoming Women's History Month. amightygirl.com A great way to start off a great month honoring women!
9. Area Director's Travels -- I was recently at a great evening with the Vilseck, Netzaberg, Graph Education association, and I will be ‘at the table' during the excess placements 10 March to 22 March. During the excess placement I will have little access to email, however, you can always get up-to-the-minute information from www.feaonline.org and we hope you will logon to see what's up.